Friday, September 16, 2011

Perhaps I Am a Bear

Winter is fast approaching. How do I know, well according to weather.com, yesterday's weather when I got to work at 10:04am was "Sunny 74°F." When I left at 7:04pm: "Cloudy 58°F" Almost 20 degrees difference. This is not okay. Since this happens on the one day I didn't read the hourly forecast on my weather.com app while dressing in shorts and a tank top, I ran to Old Navy and bought a cute new pair of jeans to change into for the rest of my night. I planned on returning them, but since they were on sale and cute, I think I'll just keep them to remind myself that New York weather is neither predictable nor pleasant for the majority of the year, especially November through April. Usually these are the months I hibernate. As Anne Morrow Lindbergh says: "Perhaps I am a bear, or some hibernating animal underneath, for the instinct to be half asleep all winter is so strong in me." September through October is the time I rotate my wardrobe to my Fall/Winter collection and prepare for depression, sickness, and hibernation.

But 23 years of Northeast winters and I've had ENOUGH, J.Lo style. So instead of sitting in my room and crying for 6 months, this year I'm fighting back! I'm going to enjoy winter. 'How is this possible?' you ask. 'Did that earthquake knock my memory of the misery of the past 5 winters in New York?' Well, quite possibly. But I've decided to embrace my frigid enemy nonetheless. Stay tuned throughout the New York fall, winter and spring of torture and I figure out how (and if) it's possible to enjoy these months without Zoloft and Xanax.

(FYI: "Light Through the Haze" is a line in the song, "Sunshine" by Matisyahu. While he's not actually talking about weather, I was listening to him while starting this blog, and thought it was an appropriate title).

No comments:

Post a Comment